Even though I’ve not posted here so much, I have been busy with the car;
The complex cooling system – the myriad of pipes and hoses was never a pleasing sight under the bonnet.
My answer to this was to get hold of a RetroFord water rail and simplify the system.
The job was simple really, the old parts came off easily, including the thermostat housing, then the new parts built up and fitted with ease.
The only slightly tricky area is where an outlet from the new housing passes through the coil pack mounting – to be sure of no contact, the coil mount was loosened and lifted about 1-2mm then re-tightened. This gave JUST enough space to pass a hose for the header tank.
The sensors supplied with the rail fitted perfectly and allowed me to switch back to an automatic cooling fan – which when tested worked so well.
While apart I took the opportunity to fit a new water pump, this was a breeze, but I did find that the threads in the water pump housing are not very good so was careful in tightening.
I have one of these housings, but its a pretty ‘deep’ part on the front of the engine and best suited to ‘winter upgrade’ or leave it alone its not leaking’.
Update: I have since drilled 3 little holes in the thermostat – it prevents air-locking and allows a little bypass.