I’d had a constant annoyance with the dashboard, whereby the covering had come loose at the base and lost its stickiness.
So with whole day free, I set about re-doing the covering.
In preparation I ordered some 3M Di-Noc Carbon fibre, isopropyl Alcohol, Primer and a sheet of wet lay carbon fibre to fill any holes or ‘make a feature’
Removing the dash, I labelled every wire or plug to assist in re-assembly.
I noticed that the hazard switch wiring had been extended to allow it to be fitted behind the steering wheel. This lash-up was removed and the switch is to be moved to its old school position on the left side of the dash.
Peel off the Vinyl
Soak the spongy residue with tar and glue remover
Wipe it off
Soak it again
Wipe it off
After removal of all the spongy stuff, a blast with sand paper got the panel all nice and shiny.
I decided upon a few modifications;
1. USB Socket
2. Move the hazard switch to a place where the normal loom ends
3. Blank off the old hazard switch hole, and the heater switch hole.
For the USB socket I tool my Dremel (Archie) and opened out a round hole that was already there – pretty straightforward.
To cut the hole for the hazard with move, I popped some masking tape onto the area beside the 3 gauges in the middle of the dash and drew out the shape, then chopped out along the lines with the Archie.
For the switch blanks, I cut 2 oblong bits of carbon, about 20mm longer than the hole they are to blank.
I then checked that the USB socket and switch fitted in their new holes and washed the dash with isopropyl alcohol.
I rolled out the 3M covering and laid the panel onto it to roughly cut the shape, peeled off the backing, and dropped the panel down onto it.
I then just worked all of the bubbles out and cut darts into the vinyl where any curves or holes are.
Securing the most acute bits with a layer of primer.
The switch blanks were then riveted into place and edged with Araldite to make sure of security.
Here’s the result;
I love it – please excuse the washing up.
The re-install process was simple with all of the labelled plugs/wires.