Tag: Brakes

Running Repairs – Fuel Pump and Rear Brake Overhaul

While travelling to and taking part in a parade lap at The Silverstone Classic this summer I had a couple of odd incidents.

  • While passing travelling across country, the car cut out and coasted to a stop – restarting after maybe 20 seconds.
  • While on the parade lap at Silverstone the fuel pump (just behind my seat) went crazy – knocking and clattering away.

Knowing that I already had a spare fuel pump ‘in stock’ I decided that would be a good 1st step towards fixing the issue.

The job was a simple one, but included removal and refitting of the drivers seat to gain good access to the retaining bolts.

Before;

After;

Since replacing the pump, the car has had zero problems – and I’m considering it fixed. In fact, the car feels like runs even better, especially at mid-high revs, maybe the old pump had been on its way out for a while.
I also took some time to pay attention to the rear brakes, the handbrake was more-or-less ineffective and, when attempting to bleed the rear brakes at the time of wishbone replacement, I could not undo the bleed nipple.
This turned out pretty time consuming, but easy. I replaced both rear wheel cylinders for the drum brakes and took some care to adjust the (supposedly automatically adjusting) handbrake.
I then re-bled the entire braking system.
The result of this is.
  • The handbrake works without pulling it up to the sky.
  • The car is much more stable under braking.

Upon removal, the old wheel cylinders felt as if notches were worn into the bore, and, my guess is – doing nothing in particular.

Wheels and Brakes…

This weekend I fitted some new wheels (14inch Revolution Alloys) that I saw for sale on the WSCC forum.

I got a set of 5 with good Toyo CF1 tyres for £300 delivered from Edinburgh.

At first try they would not fit, as they have an unusual wheel nut design, whereby the nuts have a shank very nearly the thickness of the wheel and fit through a machined hole in the rim.

The trouble was, the wheel bolts had a splined shank section, this prevented the wheels tightening fully.

This was overcome by adding a 5mm wheel spacer to each corner – the bolts now tighten down perfectly.

Next was the front brake pads and discs, I picked up some EBC Greenstuff Pads, and EBC Turbogroved Discs.

These went on pretty simply, the only thing to look out for is the flexible brake hose routing to ensure that it is not pulled when on full lock.

Anyway the difference is staggering, the car stops so much better – directional stability under braking was improved further still by adding 2 clicks front and 1 click rear on the dampers.