Tag: Dash

Dashboard…

I’d had a constant annoyance with the dashboard, whereby the covering had come loose at the base and lost its stickiness.

So with whole day free, I set about re-doing the covering.
In preparation I ordered some 3M Di-Noc Carbon fibre, isopropyl Alcohol, Primer and a sheet of wet lay carbon fibre to fill any holes or ‘make a feature’
Removing the dash, I labelled every wire or plug to assist in re-assembly.
I noticed that the hazard switch wiring had been extended to allow it to be fitted behind the steering wheel. This lash-up was removed and the switch is to be moved to its old school position on the left side of the dash.
Process;
Peel off the Vinyl
Soak the spongy residue with tar and glue remover
Wipe it off
Soak it again
Wipe it off
… Repeat
After removal of all the spongy stuff, a blast with sand paper got the panel all nice and shiny.
I decided upon a few modifications;
1. USB Socket
2. Move the hazard switch to a place where the normal loom ends
3. Blank off the old hazard switch hole, and the heater switch hole.
For the USB socket I tool my Dremel (Archie) and opened out a round hole that was already there – pretty straightforward.
To cut the hole for the hazard with move, I popped some masking tape onto the area beside the 3 gauges in the middle of the dash and drew out the shape, then chopped out along the lines with the Archie.
For the switch blanks, I cut 2 oblong bits of carbon, about 20mm longer than the hole they are to blank.
I then checked that the USB socket and switch fitted in their new holes and washed the dash with isopropyl alcohol. 
I rolled out the 3M covering and laid the panel onto it to roughly cut the shape, peeled off the backing, and dropped the panel down onto it.
I then just worked all of the bubbles out and cut darts into the vinyl where any curves or holes are.
Securing the most acute bits with a layer of primer.
The switch blanks were then riveted into place and edged with Araldite to make sure of security.
Here’s the result;
I love it – please excuse the washing up.
The re-install process was simple with all of the labelled plugs/wires.