There was an intermittent rattle from the front of the engine which I thought was cured by replacing the water pump – no such luck.
After reading a few forums etc, it was suggested that it could be a failing cam belt tensioner or idler.
I already had a spare cam belt, tensioner and idler in stock so I went for it.
Getting to the belt was straight forward and there are many youtube videos outlining how to do it.
Then came a stumbling block, I couldn’t undo the front crankshaft pulley retaining nut – it was very very tight.
Still i did notice that the cam belt was in good condition and not too old, so finding that the tensioner was very loose in operation I replaced that and the idler.
I used the crank locking tool and camshaft tool to ensure that nothing moved while these parts were slipped in.
Everything was then re-assembeld and I happy to say the noise has gone.
Cam belt replacement is now on the ‘winter upgrade’ list.
I have (since the second day of ownership) more-or-less fitted in the car. I only realised how much I still donot fit by going to the Caterham South Grand Opening and trying on a Caterham SV.
The difference was staggering – it fitted like a glove – some of this was because of the lovely modern composite seats, but it was mainly because I was low down behind the screen giving better visibility and more knee room
So, I was on a mission to get the seat, and therefore myself lower in the car.
I contemplated throwing a lot of money at Tillet Racing Seats, but after a lot forum surfing found that the 1st option is to remove the drivers seat, take the runners off, take the carpet out… And bolt the thing right to the floor.
I got myself some new mounting bolts with gigantic washers and went at it – it was a simple job and the I now fit a lot better. The view feels almost as low as in the Caterham though the seat is not as comfortable as theirs. I love it though.
When I removed the carpets to lower the seat I thew them away.
I though that it would be fine (and a bit racy) to have bare aluminium which I might paint black. This was not the case, the main issue being that bare aluminium is a bit slippy and this can cause a fool-slippage issue at inopportune times.
So while at Stoneleigh, I picked up some rubber floor covering.
Today I went about fitting this stuff;
Firstly paper templates were made with the help of some (lots of) masking tape.